{Posted from} Home

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest ~ Sir Thomas Moore ~


hOMe is where the heART is …


Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Tones & Textures ...

I've been painting on some mini canvas boards lately which I have really been enjoying . At only 9.5" x 7", they take up very little room. 

Mostly serene beach scenes from some of my favourite walking spots (that I have been missing so much ... looking forward to beach combing again soon) 
Soft, soothing, muted, ethereal colours has been my chosen palette of late, and when I have turned to a brighter shade, it is normally white washed over. Looking over some of the paintings from January 2021 to now, I can certainly see a "colour theme" and lots and lots of texture! I will often zone in on a specific spot of wonderful texture that has "appeared" like an unexpected gift!
We are a family that adore elephants. I was planning on painting a giraffe, inspired after watching the amazing Anne Innis Dagg the other night on W5, but as I began to paint, well Elephas appeared and I always go where the muse takes me.

Some fascinating Elephant facts:

the word Elephant comes from the Greek word Elephas which means Ivory

Elephant families are led by females

their large thin ears regulate their body temperature

social creatures, they display affection and hug by wrapping their trunks together 

August 12th is celebrated as the World's Elephant Day 
"I loved you with texture. 

You loved with a softness.

Texture brought details, softness brought folds.

Folds brought creases and creases had secrets"

~Dominic Riccitello~


Water (infused by a recent full moon) holds all the colours of the lake

Trust your Crazy ideas ... It's all in Your hands
texture in an angel painting

"Texture is the most enduring and ubiquitous underpinning of form... certainly a calming, meditative and appealing word for both the eye and mind" ~Lynda Lehmann~

"Each moment has different flavor, different beauty and different texture" ~Amit Ray~
"The texture of experience is prior to everything else' ~Williem De Kooning~
when it rains

 "Little moments can have a feeling, a texture that is very real" ~Ralph Fiennes~

No comments: