{Posted from} Home

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest ~ Sir Thomas Moore ~


hOMe is where the heART is …


Thursday, December 10, 2020

Thankful {things I love} Thursday ...

for my ears

the sound of happy, chirping sparrows

"She did not need much,
wanted very little.
A kind word, sincerity, fresh air, clean water, a garden, kisses,
books to read, sheltering arms, a cozy bed, and to love
and be loved in return"
~Starra Neely Blade~ 
for my eyes

the joy of snowfall 

"to create one's own world

takes courage"

~Georgia O'Keefe~ 
for my mouth

let the Christmas baking begin! All the favourite, traditional cookie and cake recipes are ready to go. Ingredients bought . Gift boxes waiting to be filled to the brim with homemade treats from LaLa's kitchen :-) 
for my soul

So many ideas for paintings come from my walks along the lake. I often say, I've walked a painting into existence.  The words to "Hello, it's me" came from a recent beach walk.

Hello, it's me

just wanted you to know

that I've been looking for you

in morning light and evening shadows.

At the water's edge

watching the ebb and flow

As the seagulls fly by

I think they know.

Will they take my message

across the sky

With their wings 

write hello and goodbye?

In their comings and goings

through clouds and skies of blue

Leave a heat shape behind

so you'll know I'm thinking of you!

~deb dunn~


At the water's edge, bird and cloud watching. As I intuitively painted, I thought of my beach walk. Listening to the gulls and watching as they flew overhead. The ebb and flow of the water. Making out images in the clouds.
To my surprise and delight ... it was only once I scanned this piece that I spotted the gull.  The power of thought!

While in a cafe, an admirer came over and asked Picasso to do a little drawing of her daughter. He obliged and drew something on the napkin in front of him. Picasso politely handed the drawing to the woman and said, "that will be $12,000"

The woman reeled, "What? That took you less than a minute!"

"No," he replied frankly, "that took me forty years"
for my feet

just looking at our prints, I think you can see why Archer is referred to as my "velcro dog" :-)

"The dog puts his cheek against mine and makes small, expressive sounds.

And when I'm awake, or awake enough he turns upside down, his four paws in the air and his eyes dark and fervent.

"Tell me you love me" he says

"Tell me again"

Could there be a sweeter arrangement?

Over and over he gets to ask.

I get to tell"

~Mary Oliver~

for my hands

sprinkling bird seed onto the concrete hands in our garden. The tiniest of birds love this spot.

"We were made by the same Potter from different clay.

We won't be the same shapes or made for the same use.

We were made to be wildly unique - drastically different from the next.

Celebrate the different purpose.

We were never made to fit the same mold"

~Han Elaine~ 

Happy Thursday. Hope you have lots of Thankful things on your list too!
d xx
 

No comments: