{Posted from} Home

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest ~ Sir Thomas Moore ~


hOMe is where the heART is …


Monday, April 13, 2020

art unfolding ...

There have been so many birds visiting the garden these past few weeks.
And since our days consist of spending so much time in the garden :-D lately,
I thought some garden journal keeping would be a positive way to set aside some time
just for this.
*Earth care is Self care*
A spot to jot down not only changes in the garden, but to make note of 
sunrise/sunset, the temperature, weather conditions, even the moon phase.
I'm painting on one side and journaling on the other
It all started with sweeping the Wiarton rock around our garden pond on the 7th.
As I was sweeping the fallen furry catkins from the pussy willow, I heard
the most gorgeous singing... back and forth between two birds.
I looked up to spot a pair of Northern Flickers.
Remembering I had a block of fresh suet, I headed inside and refilled the suet basket.
Within moments, the Flickers were there!
That day, not only did the Flickers visit, but Cowbirds arrived and then, later in the 
afternoon a Nuthatch was climbing up the branches of the lilac.
The next day, on the 8th  I was thrilled to spot 2 male and 1 female sparrow.
The sparrows haven't been in the numbers they once were and I know it is
due to the Owls and Hawks that we spot in the garden.
I added an additional feeder to the garden and surprisingly, this is the one that
the 3 sparrows gravitated too. It's on a shepherds crook next to the kitchen window which makes
seeing the sparrows up close wonderful!
Along with sparrows
Carolina wren was a welcomed visitor this day … I just love her quirky little upturned tail.
Windy day on the 9th.
I watched the feathers on the Red Cardinal blow as he watched his mate eating at the feeder
and then ground below.
The cedars were swaying sideways.
I've been giving Archer a good brush getting out the old Winter coat.
He is soft and shiny and his hair has been left in a spot in the garden for the birds.
Each time, it has been gone when I look again.
Huge surprise on the 10th 
As I was letting Archer outside, I noticed something fly past the kitchen windows and land on the fence. It was a gorgeous Red Tail Hawk. Which explained the Sparrow scenario! I recognized this Hawk as it has been in the garden before. It's quite small and awkwardly moves it's body. I've watched smaller birds fly right passed it's nose! They are normally so quick and precise.
 Thankfully, Matilda our garden chipmunk made a quick disappearance. I was happy to see both Matilda and the 3 sparrows return later that day... safe, sound and hungry!

I later looked up the spiritual meaning of spotting a Red Tail Hawk and it was fascinating to read.
* Protector of Mother Earth... Keepers of the Sacred Tradition*
On the 11th ~ Good Friday~  the Sparrows were joined by a white throated Sparrow.
It was mostly cloudy out but warm so a good time to bring out and set up the garden swing & furniture.
I made a pot of coffee, took my journal, watercolour pencils, a tiny jam jar of water and sat on the swing listening to the birds singing.  A few minutes later, a male and female Sparrow flew into the lilac looking down at me :-D
*wherever the sparrows are... I feel at peace*

Peace
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no  noise,
trouble or hard work.
It means to be in the midst of those things
and still be calm in your heart
~unknown~
April 12
Easter morning
Male and Female Cardinals singing happily,
I was watching the squirrels climb the shepherds crook to get to the feeder!
The cardinals were getting sprinkled with falling seed.
One Squirrel would leave the feeder and another one would try.
Watching birds come and go and counting squirrels... there were 5 this time, I spotted Roger (yes, the squirrels are all named) :-D and wondered what he had flying around him … it was a bee!

*Headed inside at 1pm as  Andrea Bocelli held a free "Music for Hope" concert on his YouTube channel. He referred to it as a "Prayer for the World". What a wonderful Easter gift it was. 
He sang 5 songs, including Ave Maria (my favourite) and Amazing Grace.
Did anyone else watch?
Today's page
13th
Woke to rain at 6 am and sweet birdsong
coming from a Robin who was sitting in the flowering pear tree by the pond.
I think I love the sound of water as much as they do.
Everything looked fresh and clean.
Mother Earth was having a washing day.
The bird baths were filled to the brim, the leaves seemed more green, the grass looked like it had grown overnight, lilac buds are swelling,  the hosta buds have risen even higher out of the ground... reaching. 
Fresh and clean start for a Monday.
Roger with a special treat just for him.
He's tiny and always stands back letting the other litter mates have first dibs. 
singing in the rain
And a rainy day quote from the amazing and my favourite poet Langston Hughes 
"Let the rain kiss you.
Let the rain beat upon your head 
with silver liquid drops.
Let the rain
sing you a lullaby"
~Langston Hughes~ 

2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Such a fun, positive post Deb. Thanks so much. Love seeing your sketches. They make me want to get back to journaling this way. I haven't done much painting this past year. Not sure why. You are an inspiration. Love your calm in this topsy turvy times. Have a great week.

Deb said...

hi Lisa ~ thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to drop a note. I hope you start journaling again. I find it helps to get my thoughts out of my head and down on paper … and I just *love* to paint so much that all my journals seem to have sketches and scribbles.
Trying to keep calm and reasonable during these unsettling times … I have my moments too xo