{Posted from} Home

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest ~ Sir Thomas Moore ~


hOMe is where the heART is …


Monday, November 25, 2013

A Vintage Christmas ♥ Comfort & Joy #2 ...

~Message in a Bottle~
It's all about tradition at home during the Holidays.
We are creatures of habit here & take comfort & joy in the special little things that we enjoy just at Christmas time. 

Chocolate Advent calendars are waiting in the pantry for December 1st.
Next to the Advent calendars are containers of mixed fruits and peels and nuts.  It is time to make the Christmas cake & English pud.
Everyone has their own special Christmas baked treat.

Today I'll share another one of our traditions 
 'message in a bottle'.
***
You will need:
Wine bottle - washed and dried well
{save the bottle from a special occasion during the year specifically for this}
Paper of your choice {Christmas wrap, music paper, book pages}
ribbon/twine
nest
bird
tag
When you have a quiet moment to sit and relax after all the festivities, have everyone in your family write a note.
A message of thanks, and gratefulness for the year that is ending, a message of hope and dreams and wishes for the New Year approaching. Something they wish to reflect upon, embrace, pray on.
Roll up the note and place in a decorative piece of paper to keep private.  This is a great way to re-use Christmas wrap, or music paper, book pages from a damaged book etc ...
Roll the two together & tie with a small piece of twine. Add your name to the outside  and place in bottle.
Once everyone has written their notes, you can now seal & decorate your bottle.
I like to place a small decorative nest on top with a sweet tiny bird.
Stamp the year on a tag and attach with ribbon.
Store your Messages in a Bottle with your Christmas decorations.
Next year, when it's time to decorate again,
 enjoy opening and reading your note :}
The rooms were very still
while the pages
were softly turned
and the Winter sunshine
crept in
to touch the bright heads
and serious faces
with a
Christmas greeting
~Louisa May Alcott~

5 comments:

Julie Marie said...

Oh Deb, those are so beautiful... and so heartfelt... how fun it must be to open them the following year... I am going to try to make some... love the little birdie on top of course!... it is all about traditions at our home too... many new ones now that my little "elf" Tessy is here!... she gets so excited!... does Archer?... I love your descriptions always of your home and all of the things that you hold dear to your heart... this is what Christmas is all about... xoxo Julie Marie and Tessy

Monica said...

This is such a special, heartwarming tradition, Deb! Thanks so much for sharing it, realy love it.
xoxo

Mereknits said...

My Grandmother used to make mincemeat tarts, I don't remember liking them all that much. Love your bottles Deb, they are gorgeous,
Meredith

June said...

I have loved these posts of Vintage Christmas crafts Deb. It is the time of year for me too to make a trillion lists and jot down all the ideas that keep coming at me while I am doing so many other things. This message in a bottle is such a wonderful (and beautiful) project and how grateful I am that you have taken the time to share this.

What is up with the migraines? I had one last week also and while I have been plagued by them the past 3 years, this one caught me totally by surprise. It makes me always think the worst, like will I get one the morning of Thanksgiving? I hope you have no more and are feeling better from your chronic pain now too.

Wishing you all the best this season and sending hugs your way....

Lynda said...

I love your message in a bottle, Deb! What a lovely idea! I'm hoping to start my baking next week but I love mincemeat tarts! :)

Stay warm! xoxo