{Posted from} Home

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest ~ Sir Thomas Moore ~


hOMe is where the heART is …


Thursday, February 9, 2017

Thankful {things I love} Thursday ...

My art table is an old drop leaf walnut Duncan Phyfe.
I found it many years ago with a "free to good home/ take me" sign taped to it.
,just about everything  in my sparrow studio was found either curbside, or at garage sales, auction, our local animal shelter shop.
Even though my table didn't cost a penny, I've always covered it over with
brown paper wrap to catch any spills that may happen while painting.
The paper doesn't just gather paint splatter as  I will often do a quick pencil sketch while I'm painting, or jot down a thought that pops into my head ... a quote I may hear on the radio ... When stamping, I will first stamp on the brown  paper before actually adding it to my painting or journal ...
so many times, I've looked down at the paper and thought
"it's a piece of art in itself"
Intuitive painting
and on closer inspection,  I will see so many lovely patterns in the "splashes"
... and birds ... there are always birds :-D


In the past, I've repurposed the paper by cutting it up into bits and pieces and creating cards and envelopes, seed packages, book marks, cards for my altar space,
mini inspirational cards {if you live in my neck of the woods, you may just find one that I've left along the walking trail ... a little love & hello from the sparrows and me) xo
cards
and matching envelopes
to say hello
and seed packages to hold "friendship seeds" gathered from my garden ♥
***
I paint objects
as I think them,
not as I see them
~Picasso~

4 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

You have a great way of using your paper and all of the bits and pieces and ideas that go into your art. I read that artist Susan Branch cuts up her paper and makes bookmarks. Lovely way to share a 'bit of the progress'. The seed packet really intrigues me...it's just perfect for the type of art you are known for. :

Jane x

Sandi said...



Lovely artwork!

And I love this too:

"I paint objects
as I think them,
not as I see them."

~Picasso~



Deb said...

thank you Jane ~ I create seed packages every year ~ so it was one of the first things I thought of using the paper for :-) we have an English country garden filled with old fashioned perennials, and at the end of the season I gather up seeds to sprinkle in seed packages to give to friends ♥ ~love sharing our garden this way~

Deb said...

thank you for stopping by sandi ~ so happy you loved the quote too xo