{Posted from} Home

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest ~ Sir Thomas Moore ~


hOMe is where the heART is …


Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A Vintage Christmas ♥ Comfort & Joy ...

"Dress Up Your Hang-Ups"
{because I believe in dressing ~up}
There's nothing like looking in your closet and finding it not only neat and tidy, but esthetically pleasing as well.  For most of us however,  even if our closets are neatly organized, they  are compiled of mismatched hangers of various colours, sizes and materials.  Plastic hangers with clips for pants, while being practical, are not the prettiest things to look at!
During the holidays, our hall closet gets a good clear out so there is plenty of room for guests coats.  A few years ago, I got creative with some hangers and decided to put these in our hall closet just for the holidays.
A simple way to  "Dress Up Your Hang Ups" is to make a little coat hanger slip.  Embellish any way you like.   Not only pretty, but practical as well as the fabric helps keep your clothes from falling off the hanger.
To create your own coat hanger slips, you will need the following:
~*~Material~*~
fabric of your choice
felt for lining (optional)
ribbon
buttons/pearls/assortment of embellishments
tulle
lace
sewing machine
~*~Technique~*~
Using your coat hanger as your guide, trace around the shape allowing a 1/4" seam allowance all around.
Cut out and using a sewing machine, stitch along 2 sides leaving a space in the center for the hook to poke through.
Snip along the bends stopping just short of the stitching line.
Embellish any way you like adding ribbons, buttons, lace, rosettes and/or tulle.
 
~*~Tip~*~
You could make 5 hanger slips and stamp on a tag to attach to hanger ~ Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday ...organizing your week's wardrobe at a glance, or create hanger slips adding a tag for "special outfits" with the event they were worn at  Ex: New Year's Eve Dance.
*you will find all of last year's A Vintage Christmas ♥ Comfort & Joy ideas on my sidebar*
We are expecting a big snow fall this evening ... I am cozied up in Sparrow's Studio finishing off some Christmas presents.  My craft table is covered with acorns, pinecones, tree bark and twine ... time to make a fresh mug of tea and continue ♥
~have a wonderful evening~
d
xo

6 comments:

Seawashed said...

I just love this idea! I really do not like those clip hangers! I wear a lot of skirts so I need them but they are all plastic. The rest of my hangers are lovely wood ones from ikea so they all match! Sadly our hall closet intended for guests coats is full of whatnots!!! No room for guests. Someday, I hope.

Mereknits said...

Brilliant idea my friend. All of my hangers have to match, I am funny that way.
Hugs,
Meredith

Linda said...

Wonderful post, lovely blog. Your header is very nice.

Deb said...

hi Kerrie ~ my hangers are from Ikea too :-)

Deb said...

hi Meredith ~ your closets must look wonderful then! I hope you make some slips for a few (crocheted would be lovely) xoxo

Deb said...

thank you for your visit Linda ♥