{Posted from} Home

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest ~ Sir Thomas Moore ~


hOMe is where the heART is …


Tuesday, March 8, 2011

This past weekend's read was "The Stillmeadow Road" by Gladys Taber & I thoroughly enjoyed every page.
It tells of her adventures in country living through all 4 Seasons ~ beginning with Winter, followed by Spring, Summer, Autumn and back to Winter once again "as the Calendar turns".
Stories of finding and purchasing "Stillmeadow" a 17th Century Farmhouse.
My favourite line is early in the book when Gladys writes she heard the house say
"I've been waiting for you. What took you so long?" ♥♥

Planting and growing in 40 acres of Connecticut soil and filling the cellar full.
Spotting birds at the feeder she hadn't seen before and penciling in the date/location and number of birds.
Saving a little birds life that had flown into the window.
A great love & respect of nature.
This lovely book felt like I was reading a letter from a dear friend and the perfect read for a cold , rainy (which then became snowy) weekend :-)
I had a hard time putting it down!

At the bottom page of my blog I have a Gladys Taber quote that is my favourite
"I suppose I am a Sparrow, a stay-at-home-bird"
Ernie and I are headed out to the Library as a hold I placed is available ...
The Best of Stillmeadow: A Treasury of Country Living by Gladys Taber. Can't wait to start reading!
And for Shrove Tuesday, it's Pancakes for supper tonight with pure Canadian maple syrup.

5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This sounds like one I must read. I love to read about someones life through a year. I have several books about different places. I like to find them where we travel and I enjoy the area. It gives such good memories. I dream of moving to the country some time. It probably won't happen but you never know. I won't give up my dream.

Melissa said...

Deb,

I have not seen your blog in years, and I cannot say why.

It's truly more beautiful than I remember.

Melissa
Sunbonnet Cottage

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful book! Thanks for turning my attention to it.

Julie Marie said...

Hi Deb and Ernie... that sounds like a wonderful book!... I must try to find it... I love that saying about the sparrow too!... Your header is so pretty... is that your mailbox?... xoxo Julie Marie and Tess

Deb said...

Hi Lisa ~ A home in the Country is our plan eventually too :-) Here's to keeping dreams alive!!
Hello Melissa ~ Thank you for stopping by again ♥
Hi Barbara ~ You will love this book too ... I couldn't put it down.
Hello Julie Marie & Tess ~ No that isn't my mailbox but one I spotted out and about walking with Ernie one afternoon :-) I love mailboxes.