{Posted from} Home

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest ~ Sir Thomas Moore ~


hOMe is where the heART is …


Sunday, April 23, 2017

treasures from the trail ...

I'm always writing about my love & fascination/admiration with trees
{here on the blog & over on my Instagram account}  -
and how my gathering bag is always filled {as well as pockets} with woodland
finds on our daily walks with Archer.
We have a large bowl on our coffee table that holds my gatherings and where I put them when we arrive home & it is gloriously filled to the brim. Each season brings with it different types of gatherings ~ acorns * pinecones* skeleton leaves * leaves of changing colours* branches * twigs* bark* feathers * rocks*
I also have a weaving/mixed media fabric art wall hanging in my Sparrow studio & I will often tuck in small pieces of  bark, skeleton leaves & feathers that I find here {she is looking really lovely with all her adornments} :-D
I thought I would show some of the ways I use my finds & what I do with some of them.
"The diversity of the phenomena of Nature
is so great,
and the treasures hidden in the heavens
so rich,
precisely in order that the human mind shall never be lacking
in fresh nourishment"
~Johannes Kepler~

I recently found some wonderfully shaped branches
faces were painted
and then larger pieces of bark were added to the back
wrapped with twine & a loop added to the back for hanging
I'm always drawn to and love branches where knots have fallen leaving  natural holes behind
these I've created into little
sparrow spirit sticks
each painted with a nature inspired sentiment/word
wrapped with fabric/twine/ribbons
and embellished with beads
and some with found feathers
"Nature is man's teacher.
She unfolds her treasures to his search,
unseals his eye,
illumines his mind,
and purifies his heart,
an influence breathes from all the sights and sounds
of her existence"
~Alfred Billings Street~
"You will find something
more in woods
than in books.
Trees and stones
will teach you
that which you can never learn from masters"
~St. Bernard~
***
I hope you find some lovely treasures from the trail on your walks too.
d xo

8 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

This is great, Deb. That bowl holds a lot of good memories and wonderful times with Archer. You really are at home with nature...I admire that.

Jane x

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your sticks are appealing to me. I am also a gatherer.

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

I too am quite the collector of things from my walks in nature. As a matter of fact, your post reminded me of the beautiful skeleton leaf I found just day before yesterday. Sadly, I remembered that I left it on a table outside and forgot to come back and get it before returning to the house. I'm sure it will be gone. Maybe I will find another.
Enjoy your week,
Andrea

Deb said...

hi Jane ~ thank you! I appreciate your visits and lovely comments always ♥

Deb said...

hi Lisa ~ thank you ... seems nothing is safe once the paints are out :-D

Deb said...

hi Andrea ~ aren't skeleton leaves so beautiful ... I often think if we could just remember like the leaves that we age as we are meant to and there is such beauty held with the blessings of changing with the seasons. I am sure you will find another skeleton leaf & have a wonderful time seeking xo

sage and spirit said...

This post....your wanderings....appeal to the collector in me! I bring home so much stuff on my own wanderings! I sometimes think I need a bigger house for all my treasures!

Deb said...

thank you Julie {fellow gatherer ♥} ... there is always something to be found :-D It's damp and cold and rainy today, so nothing came home with me ... but I was tempted! Happy Gathering friend xo