{Posted from} Home

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest ~ Sir Thomas Moore ~


hOMe is where the heART is …


Tuesday, October 28, 2014

from my hand ~ into the wind ...

Around this time of year, when the perennials have gone to seed, its collecting time.
The cosmos still have a few blooms left on them and just yesterday, we spotted bumble bees inside them.  Their cup shapes seem perfect for holding their weight,  so they were left for a few more days.
Our garden is all about the needs of the birds, bees and butterflies.  The seeds are a bonus!
We have a big clump of cosmos next to our driveway, and I will often dead head as I am walking up the path to my front door and simply scatter the seeds.
By mid October, on a nice warm sunny day, I will begin gathering seeds to save and give to friends.
Every year I do the same thing.  I create little seed savour pouches out of brown kraft paper, with a little feather  and SPARROW SEED CO. stamp.
This year, I wanted to do something a bit different.
I found these sweet little glass vials with tiny cork topper and thought they would make the perfect vessel to hold seeds.  They actually hold quite a lot of seeds.
Still deciding how to embellish the bottles ...maybe add a little wire hanging loop ♥
Planning on slipping them into a small burlap stamped drawstring bag for gift giving.
dry seeds
scatter from my hand
into the wind
one clings
as if to say
there is in me
something yet to be
~Jeanne Emrich~

10 comments:

sage and spirit said...

I love these bottles filled with seeds! I collect seeds from my garden too....hollyhock, wild onion, columbine. there is something so beautiful and perfect about seeds, about saving and then planing them in the spring.

La Table De Nana said...

Ahh..I have wee bottles..should have saved more seds..i am afraid I have chopped everything down..except pansies ..and my sunflowers..

Jeanne said...

Beautiful as is everything you share.'
Blessings
May we all scatter seeds of kindness always

Deb said...

hello Julie, I think hollyhock seeds are one of my favourites ...so easy to collect and look so pretty all curled up on the stems ♥

Deb said...

hello Monique ~ we were in the process of chopping all the plants down too when we noticed the cosmos were still attracting bees, so they are one of the few plants still remaining.

Deb said...

Jeanne ...thank you for always scattering seeds of friendship ♥

Julie Marie said...

Oh Deb, I LOVE those little bottles filled with seeds!... and just the word "gathering" soothes my soul... I'm going to look at our crafts stores for some of those little bottles... I just got a pendant off Etsy that a lady put lavender and rosemary in, and put a little silver heart dangling from it to represent my favorite saying from Practical Magic... so fun!... these are beautiful "gathering" days for sure... I actually got to take Tessy down the whole trail today for the first time in weeks!... xoxo... Julie Marie

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Love the little bottles! I just love cosmos! and I should have scads of them next year after all the 'sprinkling' I did. Cosmos and violas which I scatter along the rock borders.

Deb said...

hello Julie marie ~ isn't gathering a lovely word ♥ you should see my craft table :-) it is the epitome of "gather" ...rocks, twigs, leaves, a found nest, feathers, and lots and lots of seeds.
your pendant sounds lovely - I am going to create a few from the same bottles as stocking stuffers.
so happy to hear that you and tessy had your walk ♥

Deb said...

hi andrea - your garden will be a cosmos and viola haven thanks to your sprinkling ♥