{Posted from} Home

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest ~ Sir Thomas Moore ~

*Journal* Photography* Home Comforts* Recipes* Inspiration* Crafts* Travels* Family Stories* Garden* Quotes* Mixed Media Art

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Thankful {things I love} Thursday ...

Treats have been bought.
The pumpkin is carved.
Our scarecrows are all dressed up ...
straw hats, denim overalls with patches and stuffed with old newspapers and hay,
keeping company with the crows.
We are all ready for tomorrow's treat or treaters.
 
Thankful for memories that are attached to paintings like when I found this very old painting in my art cupboard along with the story I wrote for my children when they were little :-).  Here are a few lines from the story ...
 
Something To Crow About
There's a scarecrow in my garden who's not very scary to me ...
we dress him up in Daddy's work clothes, so he looks like a gardener you see.
 
Sometimes a crow sits on his shoulder, looking all around,
and when he wants our attention, he makes a squawking sound.
 
He wears a plaid shirt
and a straw hat
(he looks good like that)
patches on his jeans that have white stitched seams
 
A stake in the back
to hold him in the ground
and we put him in our yard
safe and sound.
wet snow is in the forecast for tomorrow
so this may be the last day of hanging out the laundry
...wouldn't wash day be fun if our laundry air dried like this?

 
solo plants make me smile {just look at those wonderful dried seeds}

12 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

I just love the poem, Deb! This is what memories are made of...very good memories. My pumpkins are carved and I also found a cute ceramic/clay sort of guy that you can poke a candle in...he is so cute and different, I will get a pic. I think the kiddies will love him. We have so many new, young families in our neighborhood...tomorrow will be so much fun. I'm hoping our weather cooperates...snow and wind forecasted. Fingers crossed they are wrong! :)

Jane xx

Jeanne said...

Happy Halloween I love all you share.
Love Jeanne

Mereknits said...

Once again Deb your creativity and talent amaze me.
Hugs,
Meredith

christina said...

this is such a cute scarecrow! happy halloween! xo

Deb said...

hello jane, your decorations sound adorable. we had a rainy Halloween and the doorbell rang only 4 times! hubby will be taking lots of mini chocolate bars and chips in his lunch :-)

Deb said...

hi Jeanne - hope you had a fun Halloween!

Deb said...

Meredith - you are so kind! hope your little guy had a wonderful Halloween ♥

Deb said...

thank you Christina ♥

Julie Marie said...

Hello Deb... hope you had a nice Halloween... your little scarecrow and story are so sweet... hard to believe Halloween has come and gone so quickly... our weather has turned very windy and cold... but it's nice and cozy tonight by the fire with my cup of Lady Grey tea... wishing you a beautiful new week ahead, xoxo... Julie Marie

Deb said...

happy November Julie Marie ♥ windy and cold here too ~ tea by the fire sounds perfect xo wishing you a beautiful new week as well.

June said...

What a darling poem and painting Deb. How I LOVE your paintings. Yes, I love that sweet painting of the girl as the clothesline. You have the best imagination and I love how you can put it to canvas and paper.
I hope all is going well my dear and think of you so much.
sending hugs...

Deb said...

dear june ~ sending hugs & many thanks to you (and email ...will send it later tonight) xo